Import Taxes & International Trade
Eitan, Mehulal Sadot is one of Israel’s premier law firms in the fields of import taxes and international trade. The firm provides legal representation to clients involved in civil, commercial and criminal disputes. Services include objections to tax authority rulings and court representation in tax-related appeals and claims.
Eitan Mehulal Sadot has represented leading entities involved in all major import tax reforms instituted by government offices and Knesset committees in recent years, including significant alcoholic beverage and automotive part taxation reforms. The firm provides ongoing import tax consultation to foreign companies and serves as their trusted legal advisor in transactions conducted in Israel.
Over the past decade, the firm has represented prominent companies in large-scale tax disputes. The firm’s clients include Israel’s leading importers and business entities, and some of the world’s largest international corporations.
Key Areas of Expertise
- Classification of Goods: Importer representation and consultation in disputes pertaining to the classification of goods for customs purposes.
- Restitution of Import Taxes: Importer representation in disputes relating to entitlement for restitution of import taxes with respect to goods exported from Israel.
- Seizure and Forfeiture of Shipments: Importer representation in disputes pertaining to the seizure and forfeiture of imported goods on suspicion of violations of the Customs Ordinance and the Sales Tax Law.
- Certificates of Preferential Origin: Importer representation in disputes relating to their entitlement for exemption from customs, in accordance with Israel’s free trade agreements.
- Taxation of Royalties: Importer representation in Tax Authority disputes regarding the inclusion of the value of royalties in the goods’ value, for tax purposes.
- The Wholesale Price of Alcoholic Products: Domestic manufacturer representation before sales tax authorities, with regard to alcoholic beverage wholesale price calculation.
- Committee Representation: Representation of businesses before the Import Committee and the Committee for Financial Sanctions in cases of import unlawfulness, such as tardy presentation of import approvals and licenses, non-marking of goods, etc.
- Sales Tax & Value Added Tax: Representation of domestic manufacturers in disputes concerning the tax authorities, throughout the assessment and objection stages, in appeals to the court, and in ongoing legal counsel.
- Criminal Law: Representation of persons being investigated or accused of offenses related to import taxes, V.A.T and sales tax in domestic manufacturing; Ongoing consultation to persons under investigation throughout all criminal investigation stages; Defendant representation after the filing of indictments.
- Standardization: Representation of importers and entrepreneurs in disputes with the Standards Institution of Israel and the Standards Supervisor at the Ministry of Economy and Industry.
- Professional Liability: Legal claims against customs agents with regard to their field of expertise.
Eitan Mehulal Sadot represents local and global companies in all aspects of international trade regulation enacted by the Ministry of Economy and Industry, the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, the Ministry of Transportation and Road Safety, and various government committees.
As Israel’s most prominent legal experts in anti-dumping duties and import levies, the firm’s attorneys are actively involved in significant legal proceedings. The firm represents Israeli and international companies before the Commissioner of Trade Levies at the Ministry of Economy and Industry, the Advisory Committee to the Minister of Economy and Industry and the Knesset’s Finance Committee.
Eitan Mehulal Sadot represents clients in a wide range of maritime and shipping law claims. The firm has extensive experience in freight insurance claims and in disputes relating to damages throughout the logistic supply chain. In addition, the firm represents Israeli and foreign companies in commercial disputes pertaining to international sales agreements, bills of lading, documentary credits and general interpretation of Incoterms.
Eitan Mehulal Sadot is ranked as a leading import tax firm in Israel by The Legal 500 and by Chambers & Partners, who recently described the firm as “Synonymous with high-quality expertise in customs work”.
The import taxes & international trade department is managed by firm partner Alice Abramovich. Abramovich has extensive experience in representing Israeli and international companies in taxation, international trade, intellectual property and shipping claims, and in disputes involving carriers, international forwarders and insurance companies.
The department’s attorneys speak before select forums and conferences, contribute articles to Israel’s leading newspapers and journals (The Marker, Globes, Haaretz and others), and provide professional commentary in the mainstream media.
Firm partner Ehud Kronfeld has lectured on international trade at Tel Aviv University for 22 years.
Department attorney Sharon Sofrin served as a management member of the corporation union for customs agents and international shippers, which operates under the Federation of Israeli Chambers of Commerce. Adv. Sofrin provided legislation guidance and represented organization members in matters concerning the Tax Authority, government offices and related business entities.